Definition of chase:
- To pursue: to hunt: to drive away.
- To enchase; to emboss; to cut into the form of a screw.
- To pursue eagerly; to drive away; to follow eagerly after, as pleasure, profit, & c.
- To work or emboss plate as silversmiths do.
- Earnest pursuit; hunting; that which is chased; ground stored with deer and other game beasts.
- A frame used by printers to confine types, when set in columns or pages; a wide groove; the length of a gun in front of the trunnions; a term in the game of tennis. Chase guns, those guns which have their ports at the head or stern, used in chasing or in defence when chased.
- Sometimes spelt chace, eager or vehement pursuit; hunting; an earnest seeking after, as pleasure, fame, & c.; the thing sought for or hunted; open ground or retreat for the larger game.
- An iron frame in which to confine types.